Skip Navigation

Temporary residents permanently leaving Australia

You can apply to claim your account balance, subject to withholding tax if you:

  • are not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand or a permanent resident of Australia
  • have left Australia and your visa has either expired or been cancelled.

How to apply

Using the Australian Taxation Office's (ATO) online facility is the easiest way to claim your super and there is no fee to have your immigration status verified.

  1. Complete the ATO’s online application. Take note of Sunsuper’s fund ABN 98 503 137 921 ­– you’ll need this for your application. If you’re eligible, the ATO will contact us directly.
  2. If you have $5,000 or more in your account or apply through an agent you will need to provide additional documentation. We’ll contact you or your agent when this is required.
  3. If your payment is made after 1 July 2017 a higher rate of tax may apply, please refer to the ATO website for more information on these changes.

Claiming more than six months after leaving Australia 

If you do not claim your super within six months of leaving Australia, or within six months of the cancellation or expiry of your visa if later, the ATO will instruct us to transfer your balance to them. If this occurs, you’ll need to make a claim with them directly.

For more information on accessing your benefit when you leave Australia, please call the ATO superannuation line on 13 10 20 (within Australia) or email