You're eligible to claim a deduction if you:
- have made a personal contribution for the current financial year,
- are self-employed (less than 10% of your total income must have been earned as an employee),
- are up to age 75, and;
- lodge a notice of intention to claim a tax deduction with your fund (download the Notice of intent to claim tax deduction form from the ATO website)
Make a contribution
You can make a personal contribution on a regular or one-off basis, the following ways:
- BPAY®transfer get your unique BPAY reference number, or
- Direct debit from your bank account - just download the Direct debit form [PDF 55KB]
If you decide not to claim a tax deduction, depending on your total income, you may be entitled to a Government co-contribution if you make a voluntary after-tax contribution, without claiming a tax deduction.
It's also worth noting that there are some caps which limit the amount you can contribute, and how much contribution you can claim. Find out more about contribution caps.