Sunsuper provides access to competitive insurance to help protect yourself, your family and your lifestyle if something happens to take away your earning power.
As a Sunsuper for life member with a Super-savings account, eligible members (see below) receive:
- automatic Death cover (including Terminal illness)
- automatic Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Assist cover,
- ability to add Op In Income Protection (IP) cover,
- options to increase your cover to meet your needs,
- the option to tailor insurance to your personal needs,
- competitive premiums, usually lower than cover you could organise yourself, and
- premiums deducted from your super, so they have no impact on your take-home pay.
Death and TPD Assist cover and premiums
1 As all ages are not listed refer to the Sunsuper for life Insurance guide [PDF 6.4MB] for full details.
2 TPD Assist Annual Support Payments are calculated as one sixth of your cover amount as at the Date of Disablement.
3 Premiums for Death only cover are detailed in the Sunsuper for life Insurance guide [PDF 6.4MB].
4 Cover from age 67 is Death only.
Check the premium rates that will apply from 1 July 2016 [PDF 628KB].
Apply for more cover
Having the right level of insurance cover can give you peace of mind about the financial future for you and your family. We provide the opportunity to increase Death and TPD Assist cover or tailor your cover to your specific needs through Tailored cover.
If you're not sure how much insurance you need, try our insurance needs calculator.
Eligibility for Death and TPD Assist cover
On joining, you are eligible for automatic Death and TPD Assist cover in your Super-savings account if:
- you are age 15 to 69 (TPD Assist cover is not available from age 67), and
- you haven’t previously received or been eligible to receive a Terminal Illness benefit, TPD benefit, or a benefit as a result of Permanent Incapacity or a Terminal Medical Condition from
Sunsuper or another fund or insurer, and
- you are ‘Employed’ (not a Self-Employed Person) and we receive a superannuation guarantee (SG) contribution for you.
If we receive your first SG contribution within 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Death and TPD Assist cover starts from your Date Joined Employer. If we receive your first SG contribution outside 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Death and TPD Assist cover starts from date of receipt of your first SG contribution, and you will be subject to Limited Cover. You can also continue your insurance cover in retirement if you continue to hold a Super-savings account (with a minimum account balance of $1,500) subject to eligibility and age-based limits.
If you are casual, a contractor, self-employed or employed under a work visa you are ineligible for Opt In IP cover. However, you can apply for Tailored cover, but restrictions apply. Call 13 11 84 for more information.
Reduce or cancel your cover
Should you wish to reduce or cancel your existing cover, please complete and return an Insurance variation form.
Making a claim
If an event that is likely to result in a claim occurs, it is important that you notify us as soon as possible by calling 13 11 84. For more information, please refer to our Sunsuper insurance claims guides.
Insurance cover is provided through group life policies for Death and TPD, and Income Protection, issued by AIA Australia Limited ABN 79 004 837 861.