Sunsuper for life members with a Super-savings accounts will automatically receive Death and TPD Assist cover.
- Automatic Death cover to age 70.
- Automatic TPD Assist cover to age 67.
- If eligible you can apply for White Collar Death and TPD Assist cover that provides 50% more cover at no additional cost.
- On joining you can apply for an additional 50% Death and TPD Assist cover.
- Competitive premiums, usually lower than cover you could organise yourself.
- If you're diagnosed with a terminal illness and your life expectancy is less than two years you may be eligible for payment of your Death cover.
- Premiums deducted from your super, so they have no impact on your take-home pay.
- You may also have the added advantage of insurance premiums offsetting your 15% contributions tax liability.
Eligibility for Death and TPD Assist cover
You don't have to jump through hoops to find out if you're eligible for this insurance.
You will be eligible for default Death and TPD Assist cover if:
- you are age 15 to 69 (TPD Assist cover is not available from age 67), and
- you are ‘employed’ (not a self-employed Person) and we receive a superannuation guarantee (SG) contribution for you.
If we receive your first SG contribution within 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Death and TPD Assist cover starts from the date you joined your employer, and you will be subject to Limited Cover (covered for new events only) until you've been at work for 30 consecutive days.
If we receive your first SG contribution outside 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Death and TPD Assist cover starts from date of receipt of your first SG contribution, and you will be subject to Limited Cover (covered for new events only) for 24 months and until you've been at work for 30 consecutive days after the end of the 24 month period.
How much will cover cost per week?
The cost of the insurance will depend on your age, gender, level of cover and whether you are in a White Collar occupation.
All premiums will be automatically deducted from your Super savings account and so have no impact on your take-home pay.
Death and TPD Assist cover levels (example)
|Your age||Death Cover*||TPD Assist cover*||Cost per week - Male||Cost per week - Female|
* Not including White Collar cover.
For full details, check out our insurance cover and premiums in the Sunsuper for Life insurance guide [PDF 6.3MB].
Things to consider
- TPD Assist cover may be paid as up to six annual support payments (each equal to one sixth of your cover amount) or in some circumstances a lump sum payment.
- Cover generally reduces and premiums generally increase with age.
- If you cease making contributions or have a low account balance insurance premiums could erode your retirement savings.
- Is your level of cover appropriate for your financial needs?
- You can reduce or cancel your existing cover, by simply completing and returning an Insurance variation form [PDF 456KB].
Need to personalise your cover?
Need more cover or have specific insurance needs? No worries. We have options to suit.
Work out how much insurance you need
Before you apply, it's important to do a little math. If you're not sure how much insurance you need, try using our insurance needs calculator.
Need more information?
Tailored insurance is subject to acceptance by the insurer. The date cover starts will usually be the date it is accepted by the insurer.
Insurance cover is provided through group life policies for Death and TPD, and Income Protection, issued by AIA Australia Limited ABN 79 004 837 861.