Skip Navigation

Skip Navigation

Are we born super-dextrous?

There's a new word for people who can skillfully master the art of doing multiple things at once. We're not talking about being ambidextrous. For that lucky 1% of people it’s a natural-born gift. We're talking about being super-dextrous. What the other 99% of people have the potential to be. Including you!


Becoming au fait with the basics of super can unlock the door to doing more in your retirement. Whether that's travelling the world and learning to sing. Or accessing your super while your balance still keeps working for you.

The key to truly harnessing your super-dexterity is understanding how your super can work for you. Once you have, you can relax knowing you’ll be able to spend more time doing what you love.

We’ve compiled a super 101 lesson to help hone your super-dexterity.

  • Contributions

    The ABC of super starts with money going into your account. Your employer will generally contribute 10% of your salary to your super account. This is called the "Super Guarantee", which will likely increase to 12% at some time in the future. You can also make additional contributions to your super to help grow your balance even more. Check out our Contributions calculator to see how this might work for you.

    Use the Contributions calculator
  • Investment earnings

    Your super balance is invested by your superannuation fund. You can choose an investment option or leave it to your fund who will generally invest it in a balanced mix of assets. Sunsuper's Lifecycle Investment Strategy is designed for members who want to see their balance grow over the long term, but don't want to be invested in assets that are too risky as they approach retirement. The interest your investments earn will also help your balance grow even more.

    Learn more about the Lifecycle Investment Strategy
  • Compound interest

    Compound interest is the interest earned on interest. In simple terms, the more you have in your super account and the longer you leave it there, the more interest you'll continue to earn and the larger your total balance is likely to be. In fact, up to 60% of your retirement income from super could be generated after the day you stop working through interest earnings.

  • Fees

    All super funds charge a fee to manage your account. At Sunsuper, we know that the less you pay in fees, the more money you have working for your future. Our administration fees are among the lowest in the industry.

    Find out more about our fees and how to compare them with other funds 
  • Insurance premiums

    Insurance cover through your super can be affordable and flexible. Sunsuper offers cover for Death Total & Permanent Disability and Income Protection so you and your loved ones are protected if you need it. And the premiums are deducted from your super account.

    Find out more about your insurance cover
  • Accessing your super in retirement

    Accessing your super-dexterity means you’ll be able to access the best parts of your super. Once you retire and reach your preservation age, or the age of 65 (retired or not), you can access your super through an Income Account. It lets you pay yourself a "salary" after you've stopped working, while your super savings continue to stay invested and working for you.

    Find out more about Sunsuper's Retirement Income Account

Talk to a financial adviser

Depending on your advice needs, we can answer most of your questions over the phone. To get the conversation started just fill in your details and we’ll be in touch.

Request a callback

13 11 84

Video Player