Skip Navigation

Employer contribution refund requests

Sunsuper is able to action requests for a refund or an adjustment to contributions that were submitted to a Sunsuper member ONLY (or a former AustSafe Super member).

If you need to request a refund for a contribution made to another superfund, you will need to contact that fund directly. We cannot process refunds for other superfunds.

Sunsuper may only refund contributions in the following circumstances:

  • Member does not meet an age-based contribution acceptance test
  • Member makes a non-concessional contribution in excess of the non-concessional contribution cap
  • Employer has not supplied sufficient member information to allocate the contribution
  • Employer can demonstrate they made a genuine error, such as a clerical error, computer malfunction or other mistake at the time of contribution.

As an employer, how do you prove a genuine error and how long does it take to process?

  • All requests for adjustments must be received in writing from the employer with evidence or relevant linking documents to demonstrate the error made. This can include a statutory declaration.
  • Once approved, Sunsuper must refund the contribution within 30 days of becoming aware of the event. 

Requests for contribution refunds or adjustments along with supporting documentation can be sent to: