Sunsuper provides access to competitive insurance to help protect yourself, your family and your lifestyle if something happens to take away your earning power.
As a Sunsuper for life member with a Super-savings account, you receive:
- automatic insurance cover for Death and Total and Permanent Disability (TPD), provided you meet the eligibility criteria (see below),
- access to Income Protection (IP) cover,
- options to increase your cover to meet your needs,
- competitive premiums, usually lower than cover you would organise yourself, and
- premiums deducted from your super, so they have no impact on your take-home pay.
Standard cover and premiums
1 As all ages are not listed refer to the Sunsuper for life Insurance guide [PDF 2.4MB] for full details.
2 Premiums for Death only cover are detailed in theSunsuper for life Insurance guide [PDF 2.4MB].
Check the premium rates that will apply from 1 July 2016 [PDF 628KB].
Apply for more cover
Having the right level of insurance cover can give you peace of mind about the financial future for you and your family. We offer extra cover through Standard insurance and Tailored insurance.
If you're not sure how much insurance you need, try our insurance needs calculator.
Eligibility for Standard cover
On joining, you are eligible for automatic Standard cover in your Super-savings account if:
- you are age 15 to 69 (TPD cover is not available from age 67), and
- you haven’t previously received or been eligible to receive a Terminal Illness benefit, TPD benefit, or a benefit as a result of Permanent Incapacity or a Terminal Medical Condition from
Sunsuper or another fund or insurer, and
- you are ‘Employed’ (not a Self-Employed Person) and we receive an SG contribution for you.
If we receive your first superannuation guarantee (SG) contribution within 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Standard cover starts from your Date Joined Employer. If we receive your first SG contribution outside 120 days from the date you joined your employer, your Standard cover starts from date of receipt of your first SG contribution. You can also continue your insurance cover in retirement if you continue to hold a Super-savings account (with a minimum account balance of $1,500) subject to eligibility and age-based limits.
If you are a contractor or self-employed you can apply for Tailored cover, but restrictions apply. Call 13 11 84 for more information.
Making a claim
If an event that is likely to result in a claim occurs, it is important that you notify us as soon as possible by calling 13 11 84.
Insurance cover is provided through group life policies for Death and TPD, and Income Protection, issued by AIA Australia Limited ABN 79 004 837 861.